Athena Pearl Riley
- Real Estate 25%
- Contracts & Agreements 25%
- General Business Litigation 25%
- Federal Forfeitures 25%
Athena Pearl Riley is a former felony prosecutor with the First Judicial Circuit in Shalimar, Florida. She is also a local real estate investor and licensed Realtor with Next Home Cornerstone Realty. Athena’s extensive trial experience and detail oriented personality, coupled with her knowledge of real estate law, has made her the go-to attorney for individuals, investors and businesses alike, seeking Athena’s zealous representation of whatever legal issues they may find themselves facing.
Athena’s practice covers a wide range of business litigation issues including simple to complex contract disputes, negligence, breaches of fiduciary duties, partitions, liquor license ownerships, construction defects, unlawful detainers, replevin and defending against federal forfeitures where the government has sought to administratively and judicially seize an individual’s property. She is able to evaluate legal issues with precision, effectively execute all aspects of litigation, and surgically prepare a case for trial.
After receiving her Bachelors of Arts in Political Science and Criminology from the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and being selected to serve as the University’s Chief Justice, Athena went on to graduate from the University of New Mexico School of Law, where she was a member of her law school’s nationally ranked mock trial team, winning Regionals and advancing to Nationals. Athena received a number of distinguished honors during law school, including the American Association for Justice (AAJ) Partnership in Advocacy award, the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) mock trial student of the year award, first place honors in the Mediation Competition, winning and advancing to Regionals in the Negotiation Competition, competing in the invitation only National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) Tournament of Champions, and serving as the President of the New Mexico Trial Lawyers Student Association.
Athena was subsequently selected to be the National Trial Competition (NTC) Coach for Golden Gate School of Law in San Francisco, California, where she taught for two years prior to relocating to Okaloosa County Florida with her husband, who is a software engineer on Eglin Air Force Base. Athena is very active in her community, having received the 2019 Florida Association for Women Lawyers "Leader in the Law" award, and serving on a number of different local boards including United Way, Boys & Girls Club and the Healthy Start Coalition. Athena is the founding member of the Okaloosa Florida Association for Women Lawyers (OFAWL), and of Franklin’s Tree House Foundation, where her and her husband have created the “Confident Kids!” program which partners with Children in Crisis, Inc, a non-profit organization serving foster children from Okaloosa, Walton, Santa Rosa and Escambia counties.
In her free time, Athena enjoys running, reading, cooking and exploring the white sand beaches and nature trails of the place she now calls home.
- University of New Mexico School of Law, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Major: Political Science & Criminology
- 2019 "Leader in the Law" Award - Florida Association for Women Lawyers
- New Mexico, 2009
- Florida, 2014
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 2014
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 2020
- American Bar Association, Member, 2009 - Present
- Okaloosa & Walton County Bar Association, Member, 2017 - Present
- Okaloosa Florida Association for Women Lawyers (OFAWL), Founding Member, 2015 - Present
- Healthy Start Coalition of Okaloosa and Walton Counties, Board Member, 2019 - Present
- United Way Emerald Coast, Board Member, 2019 - Present
- Boys & Girls Clubs of The Emerald Coast, Member, 2019 - Present
- Nexthome Cornerstone Realty, Realtor, 2016 - Present
- First Judicial Circuit - Office of The State Attorney, Assistant Felony State Attorney, December 2014 - May 2017
- Brinkman Portillo & Ronk P.C., Commercial Bankruptcy Litigation Independent Contractor, February 2014 - December 2014
- Law Offices of Lyle C. Cavin, Jr. & Associates, Admiralty/Maritime Law Clerk, October 2012 - February 2013
- Golden Gate School of Law, National Trial Competition (NTC) Coach, November 2011 - February 2013
Current Employment Position