Defending You Against DUI Charges
At Cotton & Gates, Attorneys at Law, we believe in representing every client facing DUI charges as if we were standing in his or her shoes. We have been defending clients in northwest Florida against drunk driving charges for more than 30 years and are skilled at building a powerful defense against these serious charges.
If you or someone you care about has been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, street drugs or prescription drugs, call 850-651-9900 for a free consultation with a lawyer.
Our DUI defense lawyers represent people throughout the Florida Panhandle, including Fort Walton Beach and Destin.
Aggressive Drunk Driving Defense
Our criminal defense attorneys provide experienced defense representation to those who have been arrested and charged with DUI or BUI (boating under the influence), including minors charged with underage drinking. We also handle all DUI-related driver’s license suspension issues. We can address all of the issues you are facing and find the answers to important questions about your case, such as:
- Did the police officer have reasonable suspicion to pull you over and require you to perform roadside sobriety tests?
- Were there physical or medical issues that may impair your ability to perform the field sobriety tests?
- Did law enforcement have probable cause to arrest you?
- Breathalyzer and Intoxilyzer issues: Was the machine properly calibrated? Were the officers properly trained? Were the results of more than one test compared? Were there physical or medical issues that could have interfered with the test?
Florida DUI Penalties
The penalties for a DUI in Florida vary depending on the facts presented in your case. One common element is probation, which will require you to report to a probation officer once a month, in order to ensure you are complying with the terms of your probation. You may also have to attend DUI school for your first offense, and an alcohol or substance abuse evaluation, where you will be evaluated by the state to determine if you have a problem with alcohol addiction. Other possible penalties include, but are not limited to:
- Up to six months of jail time
- Fines between $500 and $1,000
- Driver’s license revocation of six months to one year
- Attending a victim impact panel
- Paying for prosecution costs
- Installation and use of an ignition interlock device
Driver’s License Suspension Attorneys Serving Fort Walton Beach
In Florida, there are two ways you can have your driver’s license suspended as a result of a DUI:
- Driver’s license suspension by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV): A DMV suspension is based on proof that there was probable cause to believe that you were in possession of a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. You have 10 days to file with the DMV to request a formal or informal hearing.
- Court-ordered suspension of driver’s license: Court-ordered suspensions are the result of a conviction on DUI charges.
We will help you fight your suspension and seek the reinstatement of your driver’s license. Our clients are often able to obtain a work permit if their suspension cannot be averted.
Contact Our DUI Defense Attorneys
To arrange your free consultation, we invite you to contact our firm. We accept collect calls from jail and can arrange after-hours appointments or jail visits to accommodate your circumstances.