Fort Walton Beach Civil And Criminal Law Firm
Direct Attention From Attorneys Who Care
Protecting Your Rights In Criminal Cases
At Cotton & Gates, Attorneys at Law, we believe in representing every client as if we were standing in his or her shoes. We ask the questions that are necessary and keep in constant communication in order to build a powerful defense for our clients who are facing criminal charges in Florida. Call us at 850-651-9900 today.
Defending Against Misdemeanor And Felony Crimes
Our lawyers have more than 75 years of combined legal experience handling all types of criminal cases, including:
- Drunk driving, including DUI and BUI charges
- Assault and battery charges, including violent crimes
- Robbery and burglary charges
- Drug offenses, including misdemeanor and felony charges
- Sex offenses, including prostitution and sexual assault
- Property crimes, grand theft and fraud charges
- Juvenile offenses, including underage drinking
- Probation violations and community control violations
- Traffic violations, including speeding tickets
- Forgery and worthless check charges
We represent clients in Shalimar and throughout Okaloosa County and northwest Florida in all types of misdemeanor and felony charges.
Arrested For DUI Or BUI? We Will Protect Your Rights.
Our law firm provides experienced criminal defense to people who have been arrested and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI) or boating under the influence (BUI). We also handle driver’s license suspension issues related to DUI. Our attorneys can address all of the following situations and answer your questions as we build your defense:
- Did the police offer have reasonable suspicion to pull you over and require you to perform roadside sobriety tests?
- Did law enforcement have probable cause to arrest you?
- Breathalyzer and Intoxilyzer issues: Was the machine properly calibrated? Were the officers adequately trained? Were the results of more than one test compared? Were there physical or medical issues that could have interfered with the test?
Your Driving Privileges Are At Risk. We Can Help.
DUI and BUI charges can result in losing your driver’s license. We know what steps to take to protect your driving privileges. We will advocate for your interests and aggressively defend your rights in your criminal case and any administrative hearings. In Florida, there are two ways you can have your driver’s license suspended for DUI:
- Driver’s license suspension by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV): A DMV suspension is based on proof that there was probable cause to believe that you were in actual physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. You have 10 days from the date of the citation to file with the DMV to request a formal or informal hearing.
- Court-ordered suspension of driver’s license: Court-ordered suspension is the result of a conviction on DUI charges.
When they are unable to avert a driver’s license suspension, we often help our clients obtain work permits.
Arrested? Contact Us For A Free Consultation.
You have rights; we can protect them. Do not wait to speak with us if you are arrested or charged with a crime. Schedule a free consultation by calling 850-651-9900, or contact us online. We accept collect calls from jail, and we can arrange after-hours appointments and jail visits.